Thursday, July 31, 2008

Prejudice or Stereotype?

My devotional this morning really got me questioning what is the difference between prejudice and stereotype. What do they really mean and are they the same? Merriam-Webster defines prejudice as injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; a preconceived judgment or opinion; an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge; an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics. So, the American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy says stereotype is a generalization, usually exaggerated or oversimplified and often offensive, that is used to describe or distinguish a group. So really, they mean the same thing. So, every time we stereotype a person or group of people we are in a way prejudice. This really bothers me because I thought the Lord had taken my prejudices away. So my prayer today is that He take away my stereotypes also because I don't want to be separated from Christ. If He can lay down His prejudices and stereotypes to minister and dine with the Pharisees who condemned Him, than I can too. After all the word says "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength", so Father, help me in this area and thank you for revealing it to me.

1 comment:

Bill and Christina said...

Thank you for your post. I had not thought of this before and I too do not want these things to seperate me from God! I ask that the Lord open my eyes to see where I have grieved the Holy Spirit in this area. I ask for Your forgiveness Lord.
Christina