Thursday, August 20, 2009

Our new school year!

I am so excited, all of my books came this week and I am getting ready to start our new year in school. My oldest son is 5 and will begin kindergarten using My Fathers World. He is excited and that makes me even more excited. My daughter is going to start second grade and will be using My Fathers World, Wordly Wise, Learning Language Arts through Literature and Math U See. They are both excited about starting school and that makes it even more exciting for me! My only challenge is trying to figure out how to get it all done with both kids. Trying to keep Tra focused and Joyona working on her work. I think I am going to try a timer for our son, he does well when he knows how long he has to sit and work. The good thing about this year is we are schooling all year long, so we will work for 4 weeks then take a week off. So, if I need to change anything I can do it on our break. I am also going to only write out 4 weeks of lesson plans. This way I don't get too overwhelmed and if I need to change things I have the time to do it, and don't have to re-write out the entire year. So, now I have to un-box everything and organize it, and make out the first 4 weeks of lesson plans, then we will be ready to start on August 31st!

2 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Wow. It sounds exciting. And there is so much extra fun stuff you can work into the curriculum when you are doing it yourself. All that extra fun stuff has been cut from our public schools because it's all about curriculum and testing.

tammy said...

I love My Father's World!! :)

I gave up on lesson plans. I would feel like a failure if I didn't get it done...or would have to rewrite them. I do love the lesson plans in MFW, though. What I do now is keep a notebook for the school year. It sits right next to me while we school. I start a new page each day...date the top and then just dot down everything we do. Like...Math, Ex. 25 Spelling List 3 D....

I've been using that for 3 years and it works for me. The important thing is to be patient and flexible. You will find what works best for you and with juggling their schedules. Have you looked into just teaching them both with one level of My Father's World? (after you're done with K) I've heard from many people that it works well with multiple levels. I'm down to just teaching my 10 year daughter...so I don't have personal exp. with it. (boys all graduated!) Anyway...Have a great school year!!! :)